WEIGH-LESS ADVENTURE WEEK SEVEN
SCHEDULE UP TO 3 COACHING APPOINTMENTS THROUGHOUT YOUR ADVENTURE
FOOD SKILL OF THE WEEK
BUILD A BALANCED BREAKFAST
One of the most simple and impactful food choices you can make every day to help set the stage for making better food choices throughout the remainder of the day is the types of foods you eat at breakfast. This week, we want you to direct some attention to planning out a few clean breakfasts.
A simple approach: Split your breakfast plate into three. Fill one third with a protein-based food, one quarter with high quality carbohydrates and the remaining third with fresh fruit/veggies. Make sure to add some good fats and you have a nutritious breakfast that will ensure good energy levels and stop blood-sugar fluctuations.
Try these 4 simple ideas for clean breakfasts that can be prepared in less than 10 minutes and applies the principles above:
- 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread topped with 1 fried egg, a small handful of spinach, 2-3 slices of avocado served with 1 cup of berries
- 2 hardboiled eggs, with a medium apple and 1-2 tablespoons of almond butter to dip apple slices
- 3/4 cup of plain greek yogurt with ¼ cup of walnuts or slivered almonds, ½ sliced banana and cinnamon. Enjoy with a couple pieces of bacon.
- 2 scrambled eggs with half cup of chopped bell peppers and onions, topped with a small handful of arugula and green chili, 1-2 slices of bacon and a medium orange
Your goal with tracking in your app this week is to simply take pictures of your breakfasts and pay attention to how you feel in the morning compared to your breakfast that day. Are you feeling less hungry when lunch time or snack time comes around and better able to manage your choices and portions? If so, that tells you that your breakfast choice is a good one. If it isn't quite working for you, adding a bit more protein and fiber will do the trick! Here is to laying the foundation for a healthy day!
EXERCISE SKILL OF THE WEEK
THE POWER OF WALKING
Walking is the most fundamental part of human movement. It is the underdog of exercise, but it's powerful impact on our health and its simplicity make it an ideal way to move your body. It requires little equipment (good shoes are highly recommended), no gym fees, and can take on so many forms that it’s only limited to your imagination and willingness to commit to it.
Thankfully, new studies have shown that walking at least fifteen minutes every day can add seven years to your life. One study followed sixty-nine people between the ages of 30-60 and found that those who engaged in daily moderate exercise, such as walking, experienced anti-aging benefits. So, if you know you won’t be able to do your regular workout due to an early morning meeting, taking a 15-minute walk on your lunch break or after dinner could get you the same benefits. This week, challenge yourself to include more walking to your exercise routine, even if you are already doing other forms of exercise. Most of your minutes will be in the grey zone unless you decide to do walk/run intervals or even walk/strength intervals. Remember, a long term weight loss adventure requires mindfully adding more activity in small ways consistently each day.
9 Easy Ways to Walk More
- Walk to work or school
- When taking public transit, get off a few stops before your destination
- Take the stairs instead of the elevators
- Park far away as opposed to the closest parking spot and then walk to wherever you’re going
- Go for a quick walk after lunch instead of just sitting around for the whole time
- Go for a walk right after dinner, you can make it a family event and have the whole family tag along
- Try “walk and talk” meetings at work
- Instead of sitting down and listening to a podcast, walk and listen to a podcast
- Walk your dog or walk with a friend or family’s dog
So get out there and just walk. Commit to walking at least 15 minutes a day.
THIS WEEK'S SMART WORKOUTS
This week we have 3 unique, quirky, little workouts for you that can be done in unusual places, in unusual ways, with no equipment almost any where the setting allows. Check out Lunch Box, Boob Toob, and Make 'Em Stair.
THIS WEEK'S WEBINARS
Not All Calories Are Created Equal
If you think it is just about calories, think again. Learn why calories really are different depending on where, how and when they are consumed.
Your Brain on Exercise
If you are looking for a miracle drug to keep your brain young, prevent depression and Alzheimer's, and enjoy more from life, then look no further.