Garmin Vivosmart HR Guide to Setup
We are so happy that you’ve joined the Nuvita program. You’re already on your way to becoming a Better YOU. You are enrolled in the Nuvita CARDIO and this guide will give you instructions on how to get started with that program.
Here are the things that you’ll need to get started:
1. Access to a computer and smartphone: You’ll use your computer and/or smartphone to access your MyNuvita dashboard. The dashboard is available either as an app on your smartphone OR a website: www.mynuvita.com.
If you have a smartphone, download the MyNuvita app now and log in using the credentials you created during enrollment.
2. A Nuvita HR Monitor:
You will use the HR monitor to analyze your workout progress, as the monitor tracks your heart rate during your workouts.
The Garmin Vivosmart HR will not connect directly with your app, but it will allow you to upload files from the Garmin Connect website to Nuvita.
Set Up Your Cardio Device:
Smartphone + Garmin Vivosmart HR
Step 1: Get Familiar with Your Device
There are a few main functions that you need to know on your Garmin Vivosmart HR:
a. Touchscreen: You can swipe left or right to scroll through screens, or tap to select.
b. Device key: The small button on the side of the screen has a few functions: If you press and hold, you can turn on/off the device. By simply pressing it, you can open and close the menu or start and stop the timer.
c. Charting port: To connect the USB charger to the device, align the charger posts with the contacts on the back of the device and press until it clicks into place. We recommend fully charging your device before advancing to step 2.
Step 2: Set up the Monitor
You have the choice to either set up the Garmin Vivosmart HR with your smartphone OR computer. We recommend setting it up with your smartphone. If you do not have a smartphone, you will need to use your computer. Ensure that your bluetooth is enabled on your smartphone but DO NOT pair with the device yet.
Step 3: Prepare the Vivosmart HR for Pairing
• Turn on the Vivosmart HR.
• Tap “English” to select, or scroll to choose another language of your preference.
• Tap the check mark to the right of “Go to garminconnect.com/vivosmartHR”.
• The screen should now say “Pair with smartphone?”, move to step 4.
Step 4: Install Garmin App
• Open the App Store on your iPhone or the Play Store if you have an Android and install “Garmin Connect”.
• Open the App and create a new account with Garmin Connect.
• Select “Yes” you do have a Garmin device to connect.
• Tap “vivo”, then tap “vivosmart HR”.
• Fill out your personal information and tap “Next”.
• Tap “start” on your phone and tap the checkmark on the screen of your device.
• Tap “yes” to pair.
• In the Garmin Connect app enter the code shown on the vivosmart HR and tap done when connected.
• Select your preferred device display orientation in the app and tap “save”.
Step 5: Authorize Garmin Connect
• Login to your mynuvita.com account on your computer.
• Once the home page loads, click on “Cardio” in the top menu.
• Locate “Cardio Resources” on the left hand column and click on the “Setup my Cardio monitor with Garmin” link.
• On the next page, locate the link under step 2 that says “Click here to authorize Garmin Connect”.
• Using the credentials you created for your Garmin account in step 4, Sign In to your Garmin account.
• You will be redirected to mynuvita.com you are now successfully connected.
Great job! You are now ready to record your first cardio session.
Step 6: Record Your First Workout
Press the device key to view the menu and select the icon of the person with their arms raised.
Select Run, Cardio or other depending on your activity type.
Press the device key to start the timer. Go get that workout!
Once your workout is completed, press the device key again. Press the save icon to save the session and the trash can to discard.
Sync the device with the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone. Your device will periodically synchronize with the Garmin Connect mobile app automatically, BUT you can also manually sync your data at any time:
a. Brin the vivosmart within 10 feet of your smartphone.
b. Press the device key to view the menu.
c. Swipe to the right once and select the sync button with two arrows in a circle.
d. Your data will sync with Garmin, and a short time later appear on you MyNuvita account.
You have completed your first workout with NuvitaCardio!
Get to Know Your Program
Step 1: Download the App
If you haven’t already downloaded the myNuvita App, do so now. Open the App Store on your phone and search for the myNuvita app. You may also go to www.mynuvita.com to view your dashboard.
Step 2: Get to know your App
Welcome to your MyNuvita profile! In addition to the cardio elements of your program, your MyNuvita dashboard is a central hub of information for you throughout your Nuvita program. You have the ability to interact with your Nuvita coach and friends, view your program progress, see where you stack up in your competition and more. Many of the same modules are available both in the app and on the website. Let’s explore the dashboard modules:
a. Program Progress: this module shows your current weekly progress as well as your progress week-to-week throughout the program. As you complete more elements of your program, the higher your weekly percentage will be. Set a personal benchmark to reach at least 70% of your weekly-overall goal, and you’ll be sure to receive the benefits that Nuvita can help you achieve.
b. Cardio: this module shows your percentage of overall weekly cardio compared to your goal, your time Below Zone, In Zone, Above Zone, In and Above Zone and Total Calories Burned. Click “Cardio” to see even more insight into your weekly cardio workouts.
c. My Friends: Click the small gray button in the corner of this module and you’ll be able to add friends within your organization. You can compare your weekly progress and compete for overall cardio minutes!
d. Coaching: this module allows you to interact with your Nuvita Health Coach. Your health coach can answer any and all of your questions pertainting to the Nuvita program, fitness and nutrition. You can schedule a call with your Coach or ask them a question online. If you haven’t already scheduled a coaching appointment, do so now!
e. Just for U: the Just for U education program delivers weekly quizzes that count toward your overall program progress. The personalized content of these quizzes is aimed to help you through your Nuvita program by providing useful, interesting articles and testing general comprehension. Be sure to complete the quizzes each week for a quick, simple way to advance your program progress!
f. Coaching Wall: your Coaching Wall is reserved for private conversations between you and your coach! Your coach will provide weekly tips, tricks and motivation while helping to keep you motivated and accountable on your Nuvita journey!
g. Cardio Stars: the Cardio Stars module is a quick look at those in your organization with top cardio minutes for the week. The higher your minutes, the higher you’ll be on the cardio stars list!
h. Wellness Wall: with the Wellness Wall module, you can post anything and everything about your Nuvita journey. It is only visible to those within your organization. Many use the wellness wall to post pictures of their workouts, healthy snack and meal ideas and questions for coaches and fellow participants.